According to Paul Armas Lepisto, Director of The Olive University, most olive oils today are extra virgin in name only, meeting only the minimum requirement. Extra virgin is a chemical requirement that does not indicate quality and taste.
Virgin Olive Oil: It is made from olives that are slightly riper than those used in the production of extra-virgin oil. Virgin olive oil is produced in the same way, but it is essentially defective or low-grade extra virgin oil.
Refined Olive Oil: Olive oil known as “refined olice oil” is made by refining the virgin olive oil. The final product is basically a tasteless olive oil.
Pure Olive Oil: Pure olive oil is much lighter in color and blander in taste than virgin olive oil. It is a general-purpose (all-purpose) olive oil.
22. Oh- this is COOL. Add a few teaspoons of lemon juice to your rice before it boils and it will be whiter! Weird I know but Cool.
23. Too much Salt? If this happens and your dish is still cooking then just add some sliced potato wedges in your pan. Potatoes need salt when cooking and it will soak up the excess salt from whatever your cooking.
24. A lemon freshly squeezed will give you about 2-3 Tablespoons of lemon juice depending on the size of the lemon.
25. When using green onions save the white ends(with roots) and put in a glass jar with little water. The onions will grow back and you will always have green onions handy.
26. After stewing a chicken for diced meat for casseroles, etc., let cool in broth before cutting into chunks. It will have twice the flavor.
27. Last but not least, when you are using a sticky ingredient like honey or molasses or corn syrup- rub in inside of your measuring cup with butter and the substance will just easily pour out of the cup.
Mushrooms freeze well. Wash quickly, dry, then put them, sliced or un-sliced, in a plastic bag and freeze. Use them without defrosting. In any cooked dish, they will taste exactly like fresh mushrooms.
Freezing ice cubes of herbs, garlic, or stock has been really helpful for me.
When you get home from the store. Cut up your onions, celery and peppers and place them on a baking sheet in the freezer for 15 minutes. Then place each into a seperate ziploc bag and you will have fresh/frozen veggies for your dishes.
Divide chicken breasts into ziploc bags and place a marinade in with the chicken and freeze. So next time you need to make a quick chicken dish your chicken will already be marinated and belleicious.
When you freeze bacon, there is no waiting for thawing if you arrange the strips flat, slice by slice, on waxed paper, then roll them up. Put them in a plastic bag in the freeze. To use, unroll and peel off the necessary number of slices.
To keep celery crisp, stand it up in a pitcher of cold, salted water and refrigerate
Here’s a convenient way to freeze casseroles:Line the casserole dish with foil, leaving 2″ collar all around. Add casserole ingredients and bake. Cool and freeze in uncovered casserole. When frozen, lift casserole and foil out in one piece
Cover with foil or place in a freezer bag. Seal tightly, label, date and freeze.To thaw, take frozen casserole out of bag and foil, and place in the casserole dish it was originally baked in.
Baking Powder: 1/4 teaspoon baking soda plus 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar plus 1/4 teaspoon cornstarch
Chocolate, Bittersweet or Semi-Sweet: 1/2 ounce unsweetened chocolate plus 1 tablespoon granulated white sugar
Cornstarch: 2 tablespoonsall purpose flour
Cream of tartar: 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar or lemon juice
Half & Half: 1 cup whole milk plus 2 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
Sour Cream: 1 cup plain yogurt
Butter 1/2 cup: 1/2 cup Vegetable Shortening
1 cup AP Flour: 1 cup Self Rising and omit salt and baking powder from the recipe
1 cup Self Rising Flour: 1 cup AP Flour plus 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup Honey: 3/4 cup maple syrup plus 1/2 cup white sugar
Mascarpone Cheese: 3/4 cup cream cheese beaten with 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
1 cup evaporated milk: 1 cup half & half