So what am I thinking? I’m thinking I love cookies so so much:) I’m thinking I should live somewhere where it never gets cold- like at all! I’m thinking I get tired of thinking and I’m thinking I love chimichangas. I mean I haven’t always loved them. It’s lately that this cross between an enchilada, burrito, pannini and eggroll has grabbed my attention. They are easy, quick ( especially if you use Rotisserie chicken) and versatile. Whether you opt for Southwestern, Mediterranean or just the classic baked chicken recipe you can not and will not go wrong with a chimichanga . On the go or sitting at home these chimichangas are it and destined to be the next big thing. Okay, so they may never beat out the old fashioned grilled cheese but they should at least be in second:)
Around these parts( like my neighborhood- kidding, seriously everyone loves my enchiladas- get the recipe here) I’m known for my green chile chicken enchiladas- and although green chiles are my go to for most chicken dishes I wanted to do something different and so I opted for lighter flavors and ingredients that most of us already have in the house. Hummus (my fav mid-afternoon snack) lemon and watercress. Why watercress? The watercress adds a nice texture alongside the creamy hummus and well it happens to be one of my favorites. The great thing about using hummus as the main flavor component is you have so many choices of hummus. I used jalapeno and lemon hummus by Cat Cora but you could use the spicy red pepper, garlic and pine nut, avocado hummus, classic hummus, the options are endless. Now last thing you must remember is that the key to a perfect chimichanga is the perfect roll. Its all in how you roll it-see my super duper easy instructions below.
HOW TO ROLL A BURRITO/CHIMICHANGA* MAKE SURE YOUR TORTILLA IS LARGE ENOUGH FOR YOUR FILLING. USE A BURRITO SIZE TORTILLA TO ACCOMPLISH THIS! You want room to fold the burrito in half and have both ends come together with room to spare.
1. Make sure your tortilla is a room temperature if not slightly warm.
2. Spoon the filling (in this case the hummus then the pulled chicken, squeeze of lemon juice and then handful of watercress) onto the tortilla, centering it on the tortilla.
3. Lift the two sides of the tortilla to center the food in the middle. Then, lift up the side closest to you tuck the top flap of the tortilla over and up underneath the filling.
4. Starting from your body and moving outward, roll the burrito forward in 2 or 3 rolls leaving one roll left. With the last roll tuck over the left and right sides of the tortilla towards the center and then give it one last roll, using both hands to keep the left and right sides of the tortillas folded over until the roll is completed.
5. Brush with olive oil (or in this case a mixture of olive oil and lemon juice) and brush over the chimichanga. It is now ready to be baked.
- 1 rotisserie chicken, shredded or 2 cups of shredded chicken
- ½ cup hummus of your choice
- 2 lemons
- 1 cup of roughly chopped watercress
- 2 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt and cracked black pepper each
- 1 tsp ground thyme
- burrito sized tortillas
- Warm up your tortilla. Toss the chicken with the olive oil, thyme, salt and pepper. Spoon 1 TBSP of the hummus on the center of the tortilla and spread it out. Place a handful of chicken next on the hummus then the watercress and finally a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Lift the two sides of the tortilla to center the food in the middle. Then, lift up the side closest to you tuck the top flap of the tortilla over and up underneath the filling. Starting from your body and moving outward, roll the burrito forward in 2 or 3 rolls leaving one roll left. With the last roll tuck over the left and right sides of the tortilla towards the center and then give it one last roll, using both hands to keep the left and right sides of the tortillas folded over until the roll is completed. Brush with olive oil (or in this case a mixture of 1 TBSP olive oil and 1 tsp lemon juice) and brush over the chimichanga. It is now ready to be baked. Bake at 325 for 20 minutes.