I was asked back during the holidays why I wasn’t helping myself to a big side of black eyed peas. My response of course was “because I don’t like them” but when challenged as to why I do not like Black Eyed Peas I didn’t really have a good answer. So many of us are like that. There are foods we just don’t like for no other reason than we said so… Am I Right? After much thought I came to the conclusion that it wasn’t the taste of the black eyed peas but the texture. I just didn’t like the texture and so I decided to change how I viewed black eyed peas and used them as the base for a fritter.
My motto has always been when in doubt fry it! So I created a mouthwatering batter comprised of mashed black eyed peas, mustard, green onions, mashed garlic and spices and then dropped spoonfuls of it into piping hot oil. IT WAS AMAZING! A cross between a hushpuppy and a side of black eyed peas. The taste was spot on and the texture- now that is texture I can do any day of the week. Chewy in the middle and golden brown and crispy on the outside.
I am just throwing this out there but I honestly think as part of your new year’s resolution you should make my FRIED BLACK EYED FRITTERS! They are every bit as delicious as they sound!
- 1 15 oz. can of rinsed black eyed peas
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 TBSP mustard
- 1 egg
- 4 TBSP bread crumbs
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp thyme
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp garlic paste or 1 tsp minced garlic
- For the Cilantro Dipping Sauce:
- ½ cup yogurt
- ½ cup mayo
- 1 tsp honey
- 4 TBSP cilantro
- ¼ tsp salt and pepper each
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- Combine all ingredients in a small blender for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Place black-eyed peas in a bowl and mash with a fork. Beat the egg with the mustard and garlic and add to the peas. Stir and add in the remaining ingredients and stir together to combine. Form into golf-ball size balls and set aside. Heat ½ inch of oil in a large skillet or cast iron pan over medium to high heat. (Note: A little trick I learned from my mom- if you sprinkle a little flour over the oil and it bubbles you know the oil is ready). Add the fritters to the oil gently and fry for abut 2- 21/2 minutes per side (for total of 4-5 minutes). Drain on a paper towel-lined plate and enjoy with the dipping sauce.