We love pancakes around this house and as always I like to mix things up a bit so I decided why not go for a savory version instead of sweet and why not play around with the batter a little to create a crispier thinner version of the classic pancake. BUT I wanted to take it one step further so I said LET’S FRY IT! Yep, let’s take our little pancake of joy and fry it. It’s called a Chinese Scallion Pancake and it is unbelievable. What is even better than a lightly fried pancake is the Dark Amber Crown Maple Dipping Sauce slowly drizzled on the top. NOW THAT IS A PANCAKE!
The key to this particular style of pancake is in the dough. It is not your typical pancake batter- in fact its not a batter at all but a simple mixture of water and flour! Yes just water and flour for the base. Toss in some scallions, salt and a few hints of ginger and there you have it:) Below are a few tips to make sure your Scallion Pancakes turn out just right:)
TIPS FOR EXTRA CRISPY SCALLION PANCAKE
1) The recipe will call for hot water. Make sure the water is at the boiling point. It’s not good enough to just use the hot water from your faucet.
2) KNEAD! Knead, Knead, Knead
3) Use a food processor. Although you can do this recipe with a stand mixer a food processor produces better results giving you a nice pliable dough.
4) Whatever filling you chose such as scallions or bacon or jalapenos or even pecans- you must place it inside the pancake in a ball then roll. Just tossing the filling of your choice in the dough and kneading it in won’t really do the trick as the scallions and or bacon will just fall out during cooking.
5) Perfect temperature of the oil is key to getting that extra crispiness and dodging an unevenly cooked pancake.