When you think pie, Do you think Pizza? Well, you might if you lived up North and are accustomed to big ole slices of pizza with crust on the top and bottom but down here in the South when we think of pie we think Blueberry, Blackberry, Strawberry or yours truly personal favorite- Peach Pie. How do you make a pizza more southern? Make into a pie. Literally, with pie lattice work and all on top!
This Christmas I am SLAMMED! And by slammed I mean running around crazy, no time to breath, 10- yes- 10 bags of my spicy cajun trash mix ready to hand out, 6 ziplocs full of homemade cookies, 3 bags of lemon bark candy, and so much more- christmas programs, cookies exchanges, web design deadlines, handing paci to my husband and then remembering it was really for the little one, giving the boys a bath and then realizing I never washed their hair,- Listen the lists of craziness I am doing would drive you CRAZY so I will stop there and just say I am doing SUPER DUPER good getting this post up in time. After all its Christmas and one of the best gifts I can ever gift someone is the joy over a fabulous delicious recipe! So, from me to you here is my Southern Pizza Pie, complete with Italian sausage, artichokes, spinach, peppers and yes of course- CHEESE!
I do hope you enjoy it and try it on for a nice weeknight dinner this season when you are going CRAZY yourself, I can’t promise it will lessen the load but I can promise it will make you enjoyable while you eat:)
- 2 packages of refrigerated pizza crust dough
- 8 ounces of sweet Italian sausage
- 10 ounces of frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 can of drained, chopped artichoke hearts
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- ¾ cup onion chopped
- 2 cups shredded pizza cheese
- ¾ cup Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375. Unroll pizza dough on the surface of your baking pan allowing the edges to slightly fall off the side (as it will shrink up in the oven) place bake in refrigerator until time to cook. Meanwhile cook your sausage for 5 to 7 minutes breaking it up into small crumbles and then toss in the chopped onion and chopped artichoke hearts. Toss in the spinach and garlic and cook until garlic is browned. Remove and set aside to cool. Mix in the pizza sauce. Set aside. When cool to the touch top the first layer of pizza dough/crust with the filling the sprinkle on the pizza cheese. Use the second pizza dough and cut into 10-12 1 inch slices. Arrange the slices first horizontally then vertically on top of the filling. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and Bake at 375 for 15 minutes or 20