I am not technically sure that the word “Deconstructed” actually applies to my Shrimp Boil Skewers but I have always liked to say “deconstructed” and I have always wanted to do a “deconstructed” dish so lo and behold- I decided these skewers were “deconstructed” seeing as how you typically prepare a shrimp boil in one big pot and proceed from there by eating it all together and sopping up those extremely delicious juices with french bread.
You might not get to sop up any juice with this version but it is just as- if not- MORE delicious than the original shrimp boil because it has a charred roasted flavor that adds a whole new dimension to the dish! By seasoning each component of the dish (a.k.a the skewer) you are guaranteed not to miss out on that classic cajun spice and flavor. It makes the PERFECT appetizer for a cocktail or dinner party. It is dainty, it’s fun and it is dang good:)
So how to do you make these pretty babies? Well, its quite easy actually. First your going to bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook your corn along with a dash of crab boil. Then dot the corn with butter while it is cooling off. Next toss your shrimp with this wonderful mixture of cajun spices and oil and allow to sit. You are going to roast your small potatoes in the oven with a touch of olive oil and salt and at the last 10 minutes of cooking toss in your shrimp and sliced sausage. THAT IS IT! Roast for 10 minutes. Remove and construct your amazingly beautiful and delicious shrimp boil skewer:) I told you it was easy:)
Wooden Skewers courtesy of RestaurantWare.com
- 1 pound of large shrimp, unpeeled
- 1 pound of small/baby potatoes
- 1 pound of your favorite sausage links, sliced
- 8 small corn on the cobs
- ½ tsp crab boil
- Cajun Marinade Mix:
- ⅛ cup canola oil
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/ 2 tsp dry mustard
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp lemon pepper
- First mix together your cajun seasoning marinade in a large ziploc bag or large bowl. Toss your shrimp (unpeeled) in the marinade and allow to sit room temperature while you prepare the rest of the recipe.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add a dash of crab boil. (be careful to add just a dash) Once at a boil add in your corn and cook for 6-8 minutes until nice and tender. Remove and allow to cool (dot with butter-optional)
- Place potatoes on a roasting or baking pan with a drizzle of olive oil and dash of salt. Roast at 400 for 15-20 minutes until nice and slightly brown on the edges (this is personal preference however as we love our potatoes really charred). With 10 minutes left for the potatoes remove and place the shrimp and sliced sausage onto the pan- return the pan to the oven and allow to finish cooking for last 10 minutes.
- Now everything is ready to placed on the skewer. Slice each corn on the cob into 2 or 3 portions depending on how big you want them. Layer the skewer with the corn, shrimp, potato and finally sausage. Repeat:)) and Enjoy:)))