Scallop Gratin

This has to be the easiest, most succulent, richest and delicious dish you will ever put in your mouth. It takes literally 30 minutes tops and its simply amazing. Fresh sea scallops topped with a mixture of butter, bread crumbs, lemon, wine, shallots, garlic and herbs. Do you see what I am talking about. Can you just taste it now? The flavors are overwhelming and transcend you to a place all cooks dream about but sometimes never accomplish. Sensational and of course it is none other than the genius creation of Ina Garten. She just kills me. I don’t see how she manages to make something as delicate as sea scallops into the most irresistible and magical meal you will ever have.

The soft fleshy texture and delicately mild sweet flavor of scallops can be enjoyed by even those who are not particularly fond of fish in general. They are easy to cook, taste delicious with just few ingredients and relatively inexpensive. Dressed up or down scallops are the perfect meal for those who would rather spend time visiting with their family rather than being stuck in the kitchen.

The scallop gratin is loaded with amazing and tantalizing flavors and I can’t wait for you all to try. You will not be disappointed. Just think how romantic it would be to make this for just you and your man one night. Send the kids away to their friends or ask a favor from a neighbor and cook up a meal you two will never forget.

[print_this]

Scallop Gratin

Ingredients: (recipe adapted from Barefoot Contessa)

• 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature (softened to the point of no return)
  • 6 large garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 medium shallots, minced
  • 4 tablespoons minced fresh basil
  • 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 2 teaspoons sea salt
  • 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 6 tablespoons good olive oil
  • 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
  • 1 tablespoons dry white wine
  • 2 pound fresh bay scallops

Directions:

Place the extra extra softened butter in the bowl and mix in the garlic, shallots, lemon juice, basil, salt and pepper. Stir well until all combined and then slowly add in the olive oil and panko bread crumbs. Fold gently and then set aside.

Preheat the broiler to 425. In a small gratin pan or 9 inch square casserole dish pour in a the 1 tablespoon of white wine and then place the scallops on top, arranging them so that each touch sides. Spread the panko butter mixture over the top of the scallops making sure it covers them all and bake at 425 for 10-12 minutes. If you want the top crustier, place the dishes under the broiler for 2 minutes, until browned.Drizzle with lemon juice and serve with a nice side salad or crusty bread.

[/print_this]

Comments

1. says

My husband LOVES scallops- I am always iffy on them. When prepared right- they can be totally amazing. THESE look prepared perfectly. I totally want to give this recipe a go

2. says

Delicious! The best scallops I’ve had in a long time were consumed when I visited our son in Massachusetts in the spring. He met the boat! Back home, I have to “catch” our scallops at Costco’s fresh seafood market on Fridays. Thanks for the recipe!

Best,
    Bonnie

3. says

Connor just left for college so it’s just the two of us at home now. I am so making these for me and my man just as soon as I find the scallops. These look absolutely fantastic, Jessica! I’m “pinning” it. Thanks!!

4. says

I just want to stop what I’m doing right now and make these! I’d planned on scallops for this upcoming weekend…It will definitely be this recipe!

5. says

My husband loves these babies and since his birthday is September 3rd I now know just what to whip up thanks to you and your wonderful ideas. Girl what would I do without ya? Starve…thats what we would do. HaHa

6. says

You have an incredible gratin dish!! The topping looks so crusty and good, and the moist scallops added with so much flavor. I love that you have put together such a beautiful flavor combo of basil, shallots and garlic…Wow!

7. says

I can’t wait to try this recipe! I have never made scallops before, but these look so good that I absolutely must make these! Thanks for sharing your post with the Friday Blog Hop.

8. says

Droooooooling. (and I’m not kidding)

Somehow, my breakfast bread and coffee doesn’t seem quite as appetizing anymore!

This looks delicious, and you have such a gift for describing food in the most tantalizing of ways… a true talent, my friend. MAKES you want to try the recipe before you even SEE it!!

9. says

Oh my goodness, this looks divine! I love scallops but I have never had them au gratin…I can just imagine how good this tastes! Thank you for sharing this post with the Friday Blog Hop. Please come visit us again this Friday as Alea and I are planning some more exciting new changes to the hop!

By the way, if you are a fan of Ina Garten as I am, I am part of a group called Garden of Ina you might be interested in. Drop me an email if you would like more details :)

• kbelleicious says

So want to join it! Chaya just told me about it too- you both caught on that this was Ina’s dish:) I will link this up on thursday and can’t wait! Thanks April!

• kbelleicious says

Oh I would love to join the Ina link up. I make so many of her dishes! Will definitely link this up on thursday! Thanks for the invite_ will mention I did so in my post on friday (since I don’t post on thursdays!)

• kbelleicious says

I am so sorry girl you have had a bad day. These will definitely make it better! Promise!

10. says

Jessica, I made gratin last week, but I realized American “gratin” (definition) and Japanese one is quite different. I learned something new today. I wonder where Japanese gratin came from….maybe some European country. This is so easy to make and oh my looks delicious! We love scallops and this is great dish!

11. says

Oh looks sooo good… I’m such a seafood fan and this really does appeals to me. Now, when will prices for scallops drop?

12. All in the kitchen says

I love this dish- the way you describe it is perfect! Would u suggest this for a large group of people?

13. says

Oh we love scallops and these look amazing!! I don’t think I have ever used a recipe by Ina that we didn’t like. She is just awesome!! Thanks so much for sharing this one and I will be on my way to buy scallops soon so that we can try this recipe!

14. says

Well I thought I was full until I saw this. My mouth is WATERING, seriously! I’ve never made scallops before, but I think I’m going to have to give them a try! Yummy!

15. says

This looks delicious! Scallops are one of my all time favourite foods – whenever they’re on a menu, everything else gets ignored by me lol! This dish looks so tasty, I’ll definitely be trying it out – my husband and I have our first anniversary this month and were looking for a good seafood dish to try. I think I just found it! :)

16. says

I got so excited just reading the post title; I knew it had to be Ina’s! This recipe is exactly how you described it! I’ve made it several times and yes indeed it is rich! But my guests never complain; I balance it with veggies and a lighter dessert. I include it also as one of my 7 fishes for Xmas Eve! Your photos have done this dish proud!!

17. says

Well scalops are on my list of favourits.We even here(in new Zealand) have a Scalop Food Festival every septembar.Yahoo it will be soon:)

18. says

oh dear, just like putting one piece into my mouth right now, really love all the seasonings and flvours in there!!

19. says

There are three celebrate chef I am in love with Ina, Giada and Nigella and Absolutely love how they come up with such basic easily available ingredient and makes something so special. This looks lovey and I am huge seafood fan specially scallop!

20. says

My boyfriend has moved to a different city for law school. My goal was that every two weeks I come down there to make him a meal and freeze it so he has a good meal to eat on busy nights…. THIS IS ONE OF THEM!! I am going to make this tonight (and steal some for myself as well) this looks so delicious. What a great use of scallops. I hate making the same chicken dishes over and over again I love that you used scallops!

21. says

Hello again! I wanted to thank you for also sharing this delicious post with the weekend blog hop (formerly Feed Me Tweet Me). Alea and I are announcing some exciting developments with the hop today, so I hope that you will come and visit!

By the way, Ina’s Garden is now up as well, if you do want to link this lovely Ina Garten recipe.

Have a fantastic weekend!

22. says

I am absolutely obsessed with scallops and am always looking for new ways to make them. We will definitely be trying this recipe. And I am your newest follower :)

23. says

We are a group of volunteers and starting a brand new scheme in our community. Your web site offered us with helpful information to work on. You have performed a formidable process and our entire neighborhood might be thankful to you.

24. says

Great publish, very informative. I ponder why the other experts of this sector don’t notice this. You must continue your writing. I’m confident, you have a huge readers’ base already!|What’s Going down i’m new to this, I stumbled upon this I’ve discovered It positively helpful and it has helped me out loads. I’m hoping to contribute & help different customers like its aided me. Good job.